Sunday, May 9, 2010

Oh, My Aching Back

I threw my back out this past winter and it's not quite back to its former self, but that didn't stop Dan and me from launching into our three year plan to completely overhaul the outside appearance of our home. Working on a little curb appeal, if you will. And I fear that I will have the stiffness to prove all of our hard work of today. . . tomorrow morning.

So, this is what the front of our dear bungalow looks like:


I can't wait until this is the "Before" picture. You can hardly see the sweet house for all the crazy plantings. The ridiculously out-sized trees that obscure the whole front of the house. The wedding veil bush on the far side in too small a space to be able to properly waterfall to the ground. The big round, nondescript bush to the right that is only of interest in the fall when it turns a deep burning red.

Meh. It all has to go. But it will take a lot of work to get that done. . . so we're moving slowly. A three year plan. This year, the dumb bush goes and we put loveliness in its place--loads of hostas, lily of the valley, and a tree of some sort. Don't know what yet. . .

But, man! That bush did not want to get out of there. Here's Dan being tough and taking that bush to town.


We worked for hours and then finally, our across-the-street-neighbor introduced himself--and his pick axe and sledgehammer--and gave that bush the final what for. Thanks, Ruben! We owe you one!


I know it looks thin and lame right now. . . but in a few years, its going to fill in and I hope look like a mix of cottage-y and forest glen-y.

And at least the back yard is simple and awesome. Herbs galore growing back and as always the huge Rhubarb. So, tonight I made a rhubarb/strawberry crisp from a recipe my Mama sent me.



Thanks, Ma! It's delicious. . . proving again and again why Mother's Day is so well deserved by the mothers in my family. Brilliant cooks, gardeners, thinkers all.

No comments: