Monday, March 1, 2010

NYC Day 2


So, our first whole day in NYC was supposed to be all about Uptown--5th Ave., the Met, walking through all of Central Park, eating up near Rockefeller Center--but our earlier flight in the day before meant that I missed a hair appointment in Chicago.

But as it turns out, a hair appointment in the middle of the day means that you squeeze even more New York into your day. Uptown in the morning, hair cut/record store hunt afternoon break, then down to the Staten Island Ferry at sunset and back up to Uptown in the evening for Time Square gawking and yummy dinner.

It was a big day. So, this post covers right up until the break for hair cuttery.

Yum, breakfast at Karen's a few blocks from the hotel on Astor Place.


Best lox/cream cheese/cucumber/tomato bagel I've had. (Though why are there so few egg bagels left to be had in bagel shops nowadays!?!?)



Beaver in the Astor Place stop on the #6.




There's a car in there.


Throughout these NYC posts, there will just be random shots of my dream homes sprinkled liberally. They range from the very grand to the medium grand and then to just apartments that I think I might love. . .





I know it's weird that I took a picture of the coat racks in the Met. . . but they're beautiful and ingenious. Just because the rest of the building is filled with gorgeous art, doesn't mean the good design of the coat racks shouldn't get a little nod, too.









So, I get that there are experts who are professional museum and gallery designers and curators, but the Met still amazed at every turn. Pretty eye-catching colors on the galleries themselves? The buttery wood floor, the deep grey of the walls, surrounded by a light yellowish gray that pulls floor together with the walls. The collection was amazing, but I also want my home to look like the empty rooms.


Hey Liz, we saw the show you curated. The security guard outside made me nervous, so this is a terrible picture. . . but it's proof that we made it and saw that amazing beauty and weirdness of the photo albums of yore. Just as amazing as we expected from your descriptions!







The Bethesda Fountain (and I had to look the name up. I've been thinking of it as simply the "Tony Kushner" fountain for years) was gorgeous in the snow. Sort of forlorn and lonely and lovely.



Why sled the stairs?
Just because you can.





Giving the thumbs up maybe to convince myself?
Most of this trip was amazing, and D and I agreed that we were lucky to see NYC in the deep snow because it happens so infrequently. But the last 20 minutes in Central Park, the snow started pouring down and blowing directly into our faces. There was no sun out--those sunglasses were just the closest things I had to goggles. Our least favorite 20 minutes of the trip by a long shot.




The view from our hotel revealed during a short break in the storm. We could see the Empire State building AND the Chrysler building from our room.

No comments: