Monday, May 18, 2009

More Catch Up--Zoo

Last summer, realizing that we live in a world class city that we don't take nearly enough advantage of, my husband and I went on a "Staycation"--the new thing that's all the rage in these troubled economic times. We were planning a trip to California. . . but after airfare and hotel costs, we would have had less "fun money" than we would have liked. But stay in Chicago and we could pretend to be rich for a week and do whatever we wanted.

We made a big long list of things we wanted to do--Second City show, museum trips, architectural boat tour, Kuma's Corner, etc.--and we did a lot of it, but we also had a lot leftover. And that staycation reminded us to take advantage of town more. . . that we didn't have to wait for a week vacation to get that done. So, this past weekend we had brunch in town and then walked to the Lincoln Park Zoo and rode the carousel--crossing one more thing off the list. Dan had never been and it was a beautiful spring day and we were lucky to have spent the day out in the sunshine. . .


ape house entryway. . . so stately.

This guy was awesome. He completely freaked the little kid who saw him right before us. There was shreaking and uncontrollable giggling. Stuck right to the glass.


My favorite monkey. He was actually green. Though the apes and monkeys always make me a little sad. All of the zoo makes me a little sad--all of those enclosures. But the monkeys and apes are the smartest (outside of maybe the elephants) and I feel like I look into their eyes and I know that they know. And I wish I could bust them all out.


An animal we don't have to feel badly for. A little blue cow (modeled by Daniel) straight form the belly of the Mold-A-Rama. Eventually we'll have a complete set from all of the Chicago musuems and sites.

Done and Done.

No comments: