Sunday, March 22, 2009

Tara Donovan



While in Cincy, I also got to see an amazing show at the CAC with my auntie Marcia and my buddy Jeff--Tara Donovan. And the perfect person for me to see right now while I'm entirely caught up in studying and being inspired by multiples. There's no way to do any justice to Ms. Donovan's work without seeing it in person--but she uses lots of very simple household items to create huge organic forms that play and change with light. It's amazing, but you can't get pictures of it or postcards. . . I mean, you can, but the show is so ethereal, so changeable depending on what light and what angle you're seeing it from. Much of her work seems to glow within and it just looks static and flat in photographs.

Here's my attempt to take a photo--this one is made of layered plastic cups joined together and suspended from the ceiling in the foyer of the CAC. But everyone should try to see her work in person!

No comments: