Monday, May 16, 2011

Manifest 3

There's so much great artwork to see and hear at Manifest--In a seven hour period (11AM to 6PM), something like 110 different activities happen.

I went to a lot of it--or maybe a third of it, which is still a lot of it--but mostly what I took pictures of was performance art. I'm not usually a performance art gal, but everything that was happening on the street this year was so much fun!

The Grad golf game was pretty much performance art. . . and then right up the street was this event.


It's a labyrinth that spectators are led through by bird priests. The participant wrote their best idea on a piece of paper and at the center of the labyrinth, through an elaborate ritual, the participant's best idea if burned to make space for new ideas. It was weird and charming and perfect.

In 623 S. Wabash, there was another Grad performance: "No Sweat". Students revolved between the four canvases, using work out routines to make art on the canvases. There was a coach sitting in the chair in the foreground who would spur them on and the teammates would consistently cheer each other on as well. It was very funny. . . and I'm sure there are plenty of artists who wished that art-making was this communal and supportive.


Double Rainbow!!!!! Right around the corner, my friends Joe and Jill were heading out to walk about campus as a double-rainbow. They were headed away, but took very little coaxing to turn around and come back for a picture.


And I don't know that anyone would call this "performance art," but A+D throws an art car derby every year. It reminds me of the all of the Cub Scout Derby's I went to as a kid with my family. But I was able to catch a snippet of the final match between the possible winners of the derby.


The cute red scooter for the win!

No comments: