Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Lovely Critter Idea Sketches

The "lovely" in "Lovely Critter Idea Sketches" is in reference to the new batch of animal dolls I'm thinking about making being uber pretty and a little delicate (not that my sketches are lovely. i'm a little more realistic than that). I will still make my older versions of critters as well, but I think in the midst of this cold winter (brutal winds and hail tonight), I need a dose of not just cute, but also glam. Sequins. Taffeta. Pleats. Bows.

If these come to fruition, they may even get a "line" name.

I'm teetering between "The Ann Line" (after a resplendently fashionable colleague of mine) or "The Bloom Line," because Rachel Weisz's costumes (designed by Beatrix Aruna Pasztor) in Rian Johnson's The Brothers Bloom are gorgeous. And I sketched last night as I watched it. None of those costumes show up in my critter drawings, but Pasztor's work certainly veered me in the direction of that weird and beautiful shift in evening wear during the 60's when some designers still clung to old traditional dress shapes on one hand, but also started to play with the babydoll a-line thing that Twiggy was starting to popularize just by being huge-eyed skinny her in Euro and States' Vogue layouts. So chic and feminine, oddly nostalgic while being super forward looking?

Boat necks on evening gowns? Narrow bodices made of one giant bow over the huge puff of an impossibly giant A-shape? Yes, please.

ok. So I am a little proud of this last little sketch. I think she's adorable and she will be my first project in this "line."
Stay tuned. . .

No comments: