Friday, January 8, 2010

Losing It

So, just back to the day job for a week and am already a little stressed out. In a good way, if that's possible? I like the challenge. I like the semantic wrestling and the deadlines and the pressure, but I already feel like I'm losing myself back into work. . .

But that phrase, "Losing It," reminds me of a post I meant to make during the holiday rush, but plum forgot about. . .

Many moons ago, I met a great lady in the PhD Creative Writing Program at Western Michigan. She was studying poetry a year behind me. I was studying non-fiction. Our paths didn't cross in class and we had a friend in between us like a little magnet that linked us into the same social sphere. I dropped out a year later, that intermediary friend has drifted away, but Kristen tracked me down a year or two ago and we've been long distance phone buddies since. For which I feel very very lucky.

And she's sorta famous now. Kristen Tracy. She's a young adult author, cranking out amazing, funny, thoughtful books for young people. My favorite so far is Lost It. Is it the first book about losing your virginity that doesn't make it sound scary or awful or embarrassing or or or? I'm not sure, but I certainly never had a book like this as a teenager (though, sometime, maybe I will re-tell the traumatic story about getting "Are You There God? It's me, Margaret." given to me in 3rd grade and then taken away again when the teacher realized it was *gasp* about periods!)

This book does a real service to young ladies and you should share it with your favorite young lady if you're of the mind that sex is natural and nothing to be ashamed of. . .


See, Kristen's totally on the bookshelf at your local Border's! And there's not a single vampire to be found anywhere in the book! Amazing! Get it. Give it as a gift. (And, Kristen, send me more books!)

1 comment:

kristen tracy said...

I adore you. You are the funniest phone buddy a girl could ever want. For reals.