Sunday, August 16, 2009

Cincinnati Trip

I took a little break from work (the day job. . . I still made things while I was down there and I will post them soon to prove it!) and traveled to Cincinnati to see my family and the farm and the new baby niece.

Cincinnati often gets a bad rap. The only time Cincinnati seems to make national news is when something extra-super terrible or crazy conservative happens. And so I think much of the country doesn't know exactly how beautiful and laid back and lovely Cincinnati is. Impressive art museums (both old school and modern). One of the few acoustically perfect performance halls. A huge arts community--there was a time long ago when Cincinnati was the arts and artisans center of the middle of the continent. That's less true now, but that flavor and spirit has never left. Ridiculously beautiful architecture that feels like a weird mix between Boston and Savannah--lots of early German architecture/brick buildings with extensive flourishes at the top of the first floor and then mirrored at the top of the building. . . but also old brick houses with immense deep porches because it gets hot in southern Ohio.

Dan and I think about moving there from time to time--usually while sitting in traffic in Chicago or having something bad happen to us on the train. I'm not done with Chicago yet, but there's a lot to recommend Cincinnati. . . as you'll see in the following posts.

No comments: