Saturday, May 25, 2013

One and a Half Days in San Francisco


Dan with our amazing and beloved hosts--Dimi and Naomi--who showed us the most spectacular view of San Francisco that we never would have found on our own. 


 
I can't show you what we ate for dessert.  It was amazing, but too much, and the shame lingers.still.

The view from our hosts' home.  Seriously.

 
I could fall in love with San Francisco for its street-level, open-air cafes alone. 
From a distance, is there a more beautiful bridge in the world?
Coit.  While walking around the tower, I saw, very very briefly, the wild parrots. 

a flight of beignets at Brenda's French Soul Food Kitchen--plain, chocolate, cinnamon apple, spicy crawdad. Also delicious was their watermelon iced tea.
noisy sea lions on the Wharf
I had never heard of this place--the Palace of Fine Arts.  We came upon it accidentally while looking for the entrance into the Presidio.  Ridiculously beautiful.
Trees in the Presidio.  They looked Italian countryside, not USA. 

The Japanese Tea Garden was one of the most beautifully crafted gardens I have ever seen in my life.  The mallard duck is accidental, I think, and nevertheless he matches the lily pads and the blooming shrubs and the evergreens.  It was so pretty, it actually made me a little teary eyed.
Our final dinner at Pepita's with D and N.  Late day sun, bags of books hidden under our chairs, chilly white wine and nom-licious Mexican food cooked by a charming Frenchman.  We were so lucky to stay with the Moores.  We never would have found some of the treasures of San Francisco without them.
Final breakfast as we left for the drive up the coast.  Tartine's.  I could start every morning with a cup of coffee and one of their morning buns.  I might add a little fruit. . . but it was simple and perfect and a great farewell to the city.

No comments: