Monday, July 20, 2009

El Pollo

I was busy this last weekend--so there's a preponderance of fivetrees critters on the blog in the last few days. But this is probably the last little guy for a while.

I don't know what got me started on making luchadores. This little hombre is my fourth. I've loved Mexican wrestling for years. . . Okay, not the actual wrestling, because I don't really like any kind of violence. . . not even staged violence. It's more about the costumes. They're more romantic and beautiful than American wrestlers' costumes. And the colors are so brilliant and dramatic and cool.

So, luchadores and crochet. And wrestlers as too cute toys also seemed to demand cute names and personas as well. None of my guys have tough names, because they're not really for fighting. They're for snuggling. I've made el Choco (because he was chocolatey brown), la Leche (because many friends have been pregnant of late and those folks in la Leche League are wicked tenacious), and la Pasa (the raisin. . . just because a wrestler named "the Raisin" is redonkulously cute). And now el Pollo, because what's sweeter than a wrestler that's chicken? Cute and ironic. . .

No comments: