Friday, April 17, 2009

I love this building. I wish it were a public building and not a high rise condo, because that means the spectacular views from inside are available only to the exorbitantly wealthy. But the building itself is amazing. I stare at it every day and find new ways of loving it. This is the eastern tower of One Museum Park. The stubby unfinished building to it's west is the second tower of One Museum Park.

At first, it struck me as futuristic--but by a decidedly 1950's idea of the future. It looks like a painting of the future--the sweep up into the skyline, the shape of the top like the prow of a sleek silver ship cutting into the days of tomorrow--like maybe the illustration on the cover of a 50's sci-fi novel. It almost doesn't seem real.

But I also love the darker western side of the tower. One Museum Park is located at the southern end of Grant Park in Chicago. It's the tallest building at that end of the city. And the darker feature of the building seems to mirror and distort the shape of the Sears Tower as if reflecting back the geography and history of Chicago and carrying that into the future. It feels like a very smart building to me.

No comments: