Thursday, April 23, 2009

Art School

I'm super lucky to work at an arts college.  Many days, it can feel like a job, like going to any office and doing office-y work (though, I admittedly don't have a lot of other experiences for comparison and it feels creative most of the time, so maybe I'm wrong).  But when I go out for lunch and take a look around, there's always a surprise waiting outside.  I should have my camera always glued to my hand.

Yesterday, no camera on me, and I saw a student turn the corner balancing a nearly life-sized elk, painted matte black--made of what? papermache?--walk past totally oblivious people on Michigan Avenue and then turn into a building and disappear.  As if walking around carrying a black elk is totally common place.  And I have no picture to prove it.

Instead I have these. . . a series of strange little drawings two of our students taped to the seat of all twenty bikes locked to the bike rack out front.



No comments: