Sunday, July 31, 2011

Perfect Summer Salad

I can't believe that July is almost over. I have spent so much of this summer wrapped up in my health that it's skidded past me. It's silly, but while still bound to lay down much of the day, I feel like it will be fall and then winter before I know it.

So, I'm bringing summer inside with the perfect summer salad this evening.


Ingredients:

fresh sweet corn--cut right off the cob
red onion--diced
fresh basil--given a good chiffonade
apple cider vinegar
olive oil
freshly ground pepper and salt to taste

No specific amounts here, because who knows how much corn you have on hand (plenty, though, I hope this time of year!).

But this is how I put it together in a little word puzzle:

for each ear of corn, I add 1 T each of oil and vinegar.
for total amount of corn, I add half as much red onion.
I add enough basil so that it looks like there might be a bit of green in each bite.

It's so simple. As simple as summer food should be.

No comments: