Saturday, June 25, 2011

small yard

Dan and I have a tiny urban bungalow yard. But I have big gardening dreams--in which I manage to have both beautiful flowers, interesting foliage plants, and produce loads of food to eat all summer long. It's hard to fit all of those big hopes into one small yard, and while I'm not quite successful yet, with the help of container planting and some vertical growing, I am fitting a fair amount in.




Herbs: sage, oregano, parsley, tarragon, rosemary, basil, dill, cilantro, and chives (and unwanted invasive mint)

Veg: 4 kinds of tomatoes, serrano chilis, thai chilis, yellow squash, two kinds of green squash, green bush beans, yellow bush beans, some kind of heirloom italian bean, 3 kinds of pole beans (Scarlet, Kentucky Blue, and Hyacinth).

Edible Flowers: Nasturtium (several kinds), Marigolds

Fruit?: rhubarb, six apple trees, though we've only gotten two apples off of them so far.

Decorative plants: iris, magnolia bush, hydrangea, wisteria, hosta (loads--mostly in front of the house), lilac, peony, lilies, lamb's ears, ornamental grass, two evergreen shrubs and three bride's veil bushes.

Now that I write it all down. . . that's pretty impressive. But as I think many gardeners feel, it's still not good enough. I want it to be a bit prettier and I want a bit more variety.

No comments: