Monday, June 27, 2011

Patterns

I think we all know that life hands us lemons from time to time. I think we also know that it's our job to do our best to turn those lemons into lemonade. Well, I'm having a rough week. And I imagine a few tough ones to come.

So, I've decided to think about patterns. Our lives are made of patterns--large and small--the patterns of our daily lives scheduled around family or work. The patterns of sounds we hear in the tiny worlds around us (i.e. I can expect 9 months out of the year to hear the kids at the school bus stop on the corner in the mornings chattering their ways into their mornings or during the summer months to hear the ice cream truck and its happy/sad clown song to wend in soft and loud concentric circles around the neighborhood streets calling out to children). The patterns of the growing season--berries and asparagus in the spring, tomatoes and squash and peppers in the summer, apples and winter squash in the fall. Or small things--like the patterns of footsteps of the people we love and knowing which one of them is coming by the sound of their particular pattern of footfall before they appear in your doorway. And on and on. . .

And so, posts for a few days (or longer?) about patterns to help me get over the hump. Maybe you, too? That would be nice. . .

No comments: