Thursday, October 7, 2010

Not a Curlew

Took a walk to the pier two days ago and I saw a bird I've never seen on the Outer Banks before. I only noticed him when a whole flock of birds flew up shore and one of them was a pretty cinnamon color instead of the usual grey, black and white.

A passerby--who was also taking pictures--told me he was a Curlew. . . but I found a Sibley's on Ocracoke, looked him up and am confident that this birdie is, in fact, a Marbled Godwit. He was very handsome.


Correct me if I'm wrong, Ornithologists! (I'm looking at you, Alex)

2 comments:

Alex Houston said...

A Marbled Godwit indeed. One of my favorite birds! :) They make a pretty cute sound too....Hope the sun stays out for you!

Amy E Stewart said...

Thanks, Al! No sun our first week, but starting this past Tuesday, it's been full sun every day. . . yesterday, we saw a cormorant at the Ocracoke ferry dock! Different birds this time of year, so it's fun identifying all of them!