Sunday, April 18, 2010

My heart fills with joy and compost


I love the spring. All I want to do is garden and enjoy worms and green things and eat asparagus and new potatoes and spring onions and wear full knee-length skirts with woolen sweaters and flats.

I know I am an utterly spoiled American and so it's unlikely that I can fully commit to seasonal eating, but man, am I excited about eating all the stuff I've been eating all year round when it actually tastes like itself. Fresh berries and sweet sweet onions and the end of summer glory of tomatoes.

But, not much to be done outside yet. . . Despite the warm/hot weather this April, I know it could snow at the end of the month. So, I won't jump the gun. But there's no rule against seeing what all the cold frame Dan made for me can get done in this unseasonably warm weather. . .

L.P. helps me pick what to grow in the cold frame (or possibly, is just ripping the yard apart looking for the tiniest stick he can find to play with. . . using this photo evidence, you be the judge. . . )



There's bona fide Stewart/Phillips compost mixed into the potting soil in these seed starts. I'm hoping the seeds find that terrifically yummy. But you're looking at squash and artichokes and nasturtiums and beans and zinnias. . .


No comments: