Sunday, January 18, 2009

A New Crochet Day is Dawning

I have been tinkering with toy making for about 2 years now. I started inexplicably crocheting critters and little beasties in February of 2007. I had never crocheted before, though I had been knitting for nearly a decade (self taught in both things, so i don't even really know if I'm doing either "correctly"). I was terrifically sad at the time. . . the sort of sad that some people would probably have sought out real help with. But doctors and me? Not so much.

So, I took up crocheting and started making a whole menagerie of cuties. Their cute faces made me really happy, if only briefly. (important to note: my man and wee mutt also made me happy. . . but nothing was terribly effective, even as cute as my man and mutt are). Eventually, when they started to take over my office in a giant heap, I realized I had to start selling them to clear space on my desk and to pay for the new habit of making them.

And so I started five trees. . . still a very fledgling enterprise on etsy and the occasional Renegade Craft Fair. But I've started to want to make much more complicated critters--more detail, larger in size, maybe much stranger in design. I'm excited about this--thus this blog. I'm thinking about making the bigger, crazier pieces and charting their progress as I go here, while simultaneously trying to teach myself how to write patterns. I'd like to start sharing how I make the smaller simpler stuff. . . to spread the joy--some patterns for free, some for sale through Etsy.

No comments: