Sunday, June 17, 2012

We Licht It Up at the AIC


This blog post title is in honor of my honey who thought an awesome ad campaign for the Art Institute's Roy Lichtenstein retrospective could involve--with slight lyric changes, of course--Kiss's "Lick It Up."  My husband is funny, singing "Licht It Up" through the Asian artifact wing. .  .

Anyhoo, the show was good. . . though I wasn't allowed to take pictures of the giant Composition Book (my fave).  So, I took pictures of Engagement Ring (in honor of our anniversary day). . .


this Radio (which was Dan's favorite early on)


Modern Painting with Bolt (which D and I both liked and agreed would make a great album cover)


And then these. . . Seascapes . . . which I think are unceasingly terrible.



More than a decade ago, Casey and I went to go see a Monet retrospective.  In a lot of ways it was fascinating--seeing haystack after haystack after haystack or water lily after water lily after water lily.  You could see measurably how light and time of day altered the subjects of his painting and likewise, how age altered his sight and what he produced.  But, man, early on in the show, there was this whole set of bubblegum pink garden/cottage scenes.  They were commissions.  They were hideous.  They looked like starving artist paintings you'd buy in a parking lot for $29.95.  Casey and I were beside ourselves, giggling, poking fun, and we got shushed by a set of middle-aged women who gave us a brief lecture on respecting genius.  Gah.  Monet was a genius, but that work was not.

That's what seeing Lichtenstein's Seascapes reminded me of. . .

No comments: