Thursday, December 22, 2011

Good Thing Ten:Digital Cameras Allow for Unfocussed Picture Taking


I feel like this wasn't the case when I got my first digital camera. Everything was always in focus--unnaturally so--and so I had a very hard time giving up my film cameras. Nothing is as velvety or dreamy or beautiful as out of focus lights photographed through rain with a reflex camera. . . but digital cameras are giving it their best shot.

And that's a great thing, a fun thing, a thing that allows for experimentation and fun, that allows for capturing the dream version of the world, the memory version of the world, the softer, less literal version of the world. . .




And this year, I have needed a less literal version of the world. . . or at least, my photo library from the year seems to suggest that. 25% of all my photos from this year are blurred from speed or lack of focus or refusing to ever use a flash even in the lowest light imaginable. It's as if I never wanted to see this year clearly again. . . and it's all pretty beautiful as a result.

No comments: