Saturday, February 6, 2010

Good Week

It was a busy week and so I am exhausted. But the work week was sprinkled with social events and yummy food that made it all worthwhile.

First was dinner at Tank on Broadway and Argyle--with a big group of friends.

I don't think I've ever had Vietnamese food before. I've meant to--I think. But I'm crazy picky about Asian food. I love Japanese and Thai, am only mildly interested in Indian food, am apathetic about Chinese and can't stand Korean. And so, I'm a little nervous of trying new Asian cuisines. My working philosophy has been that having Japanese and Thai might be enough culinary interest in my diet--fun to eat out, fun to cook. . .

but Tank was awesome. I was a little under the weather and had a giant bowl of shrimp/pork/scallop in a yummy chicken broth over noodles. (And yes, Eunice, even though I'm not a huge fan of the wrappers, Tank's spring rolls are second to none).

It was full on comfort food and I will go back regularly.

Here's my food:

Here's Dan's food (his included tripe. . . ew. . .):


Later in the week, lunch with Kari at Eleventh Street Diner on campus. And I saw this--one of the snow sculptures from the little winter festival Chicago threw last weekend. We don't go to the winter festival here and it's kind of fun finding these, after the fact, out of context--as if they just sprung fully formed out of a bank of super bored AND super industrious snow.


I should go to Eleventh Street Diner to eat more often (though, I should also pack lunches for work more often as well). But Eleventh Street is a traditional Jewish Deli (and they have all of the back issues of Heeb to prove it). I miss that food from home. Cincinnati has a much larger per capita population of Jewish folks than Chicago does. And as a result--despite Cincinnati being so much smaller, it has always had a much more frequent appearance of lox, bagels and cream cheese with capers, tomatoes and red onions on menus and a much freer use of sarcasm and humor in conversation than does Chicago.

Eleventh Street Diner feels a little like home, plus, check this out:


And then we wrapped up the week with Dan's show at Uncommon Ground. . . next post. I promise.

No comments: