Monday, September 28, 2009

a little more love for Chicago

My uncle just asked Dan and I the other day if we could think of Chicago as home, if we saw ourselves still there in our dotage. I actually think about this a lot. It's an expensive place to live. I think it was Forbes that just rated Chicago as the most stressful place to live in the country. But I love it.

Look:




It's an architectural wonderland. Living by Lake Michigan is almost like living by the ocean (without all of the car eroding salt and sand). And I'm madly in love with the unknowability of Chicago. NYC is daunting. Too huge. But Chicago is just big enough to not be able to fully know in a lifetime, while still small enough to give the illusion of feeling familiar and known. So, there's always this mixture for me in Chicago of comfort and ease and then suddenly being knocked out by something brand new and unexpected.

I love it.

I really do.

No comments: